Friday, September 28, 2007

Where Did the Name "No Thirst" Come From?

Back in early 2003, my wife, Judy, and I were consuming self-help tapes and dreaming of a brighter future. I was emotionally drained from working as an employee for a company where I was once a founding partner and we were drowning in debt. The wellness industry was exciting because we were trying to get back in shape (in more ways than one since wellness covered physical, emotional, mental, financial, and spiritual health). We thought that there must be a way to help others heal and improve their quality of life as we helped ourselves.

One day, Judy was thinking about "wellness" and was led to the scripture story about Jesus talking to the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well. The key part of this Gospel from John is in chapter 4 verses 13-14:

Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

NoThirst.com started out as a small wellness site with articles about improving spiritual, physical, and emotional health, but never really grew to fulfill our dreams of helping thousands of people. In early 2006, I was sick and tired of being in debt and of performing a job I no longer enjoyed. This was the incentive I needed and I vowed to do whatever it took to turn around our finances and find joy in my work. The first step was to stop our financial bleeding and get some controls in place.

We read conflicting opinions on the best way to eliminate debt. Some said to pay the lowest balance first, others proposed getting rid of your highest payment first, and some wanted the highest interest cards paid before the rest. Just paying a random amount (or at times the minimum payment) on our credit cards wasn't much of a plan. I couldn't find a program that easily solved this problem, so decided to create one. For years, my career focused on building Windows software, but my heart's desire was to create software for the Mac. It had been almost 20 years since my last Mac shareware program was sold and it was invigorating to be writing cool software again. We re-branded the NoThirst.com site as No Thirst Software and released Debt Quencher in October 2006 under our new company.

Soon afterward, I felt a push to create another personal finance software product and, again, it came out of personal need. Judy and I had been married 23 years, but we had yet to develop and stick to a workable budget. Of course, this contributed to our debt problem, despite using the budgeting tools in Quicken over the years. Both our parents had used the envelopes method for budgeting, but that wasn't going to work with debit cards and checks in our virtually cashless society. Many products on the market claimed to help control spending, but nothing came close to doing the types of things I envision for MoneyWell.

I have to give all the glory to God for both these products, but especially for MoneyWell. I'm not quite sure how the design ended up being clean enough to get people excited about the product because my original screen layout was not at all what we sell today. My prayer is that I can touch thousands of lives with No Thirst Software and ease their financial pains while I continue to provide for my family with this venture.


Peace.

P.S.: This is also posted on the No Thirst Software site.